Netherlands face injury crisis as Simons, De Ligt and Schouten all ruled out of World Cup

The Netherlands are set to face a major injury crisis ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup, with three key players ruled out due to long-term injuries. Xavi Simons, the Tottenham Hotspur midfielder, has been confirmed to miss the tournament after tearing his ACL in late April, while Matthijs de Ligt, the Manchester United defender, will undergo additional surgery to address a chronic back issue that has kept him sidelined since November 30, 2025. Jerdy Schouten, the PSV Eindhoven midfielder, has also been ruled out after suffering a similar ACL injury in April.

The trio of absentees is a significant blow to Ronald Koeman's squad, which had been considered one of the favorites to lift the trophy. Simons, De Ligt, and Schouten are all experienced internationals, and their absence will be deeply felt in midfield and defense. The Netherlands still have a number of talented players at their disposal, including Memphis Depay, Virgil van Dijk, Frenkie de Jong, and Cody Gakpo, but the loss of these three will undoubtedly make their task more difficult. The injuries also raise questions about the Netherlands' preparations for the tournament, which gets underway on June 11.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup is shaping up to be one of the most competitive tournaments in recent memory, with a number of top teams facing their own injury concerns. The Netherlands will now have to regroup and adapt in the absence of their injured players, which could make their chances of success even more challenging. The team's manager, Ronald Koeman, will have to make some tough decisions about his lineup and tactics, and it remains to be seen how the squad will respond to the loss of these key players.

"It's a difficult one for us, losing Xavi, Matthijs, and Jerdy," said Koeman in a statement. "We had high hopes for these players, and their absence will be felt. But we have a talented squad, and we will have to rely on the players who are available to us. We will do everything we can to prepare for the tournament, but it's clear that we face a tough challenge ahead." The Netherlands will now have to focus on their remaining preparations and hope that they can find a way to compensate for the loss of their injured players.

The news of the injuries has sent shockwaves through the football world, with many pundits and fans expressing their disappointment and concern for the Netherlands' chances. "This is a huge blow for the Netherlands," said former Dutch international, Clarence Seedorf. "These players were key to their success, and their absence will make it much harder for them to compete with the top teams. But the Netherlands have a strong squad, and I'm sure they will find a way to adapt and succeed." The Netherlands will now have to rely on their depth and experience to overcome the challenges ahead.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup is set to get underway on June 11, and the Netherlands will face a tough opening match against a strong opponent. Despite the injuries, the team will still have a number of talented players at their disposal, and they will be looking to make a strong statement in the tournament. The loss of Simons, De Ligt, and Schouten is a significant blow, but the Netherlands will now have to focus on their remaining preparations and hope that they can find a way to succeed in the absence of their injured players.